Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Festival Photography 2011 (#2 - selected by Ken Pickering)

June 28, 2011


A heart warming story from our long time photographer Chris Cameron:
I took my young friend Otis Fatona-Pinet and his Mom Andrea to meet Wynton after the show. 
Wynton threw his arms around Otis before I could introduce him and when I said that Otis is a drummer, Wynton said "You've got it, I can see that. Go see Ali, Ali was 12 when I first met him!" Ali gave him some sticks and his card and said, I want to reach out to you, I want to keep in touch...
What generosity of spirit! that's my story!


(photo: Chris Cameron - see story above!)


(photo: Peter Gannushkin)


Jonas Kullhammar Quartet (with Torbjorn Zetterberg back on bass after a lengthy hiatus, Torbjorn Gulz - piano, and Jonas Holgersson - drums) blew the roof off the Roundhouse on Monday night. A tenor saxophone tour de force - seriously a clinic - Jonas has stepped it up quite a few notches in the 6 years since his last visit. His standup routine is worth the price of admission - if you were there, then you know what I mean. Swedish sax at it's finest!


Jonas'
(photo: Chris Cameron)




(photo: Peter Gannushkin)


A wonderful two sets with the always creative Lisa Cay Miller - redefining and reworking the traditional jazz piano trio format with Steve Smith (bass) and Dylan van der Schyff (drums) at Performance Works on Monday afternoon.


(photo: Peter Gannushkin)

Joe Bjornson Trio (sans Joe) - Others of Invention with: Dave Say, Mike Simpson, Mitch Lazer at the Granville Island Market Stage on Monday.


(photo: Chris Cameron)


                   Brasstronaut got the crowd into it at Performance Works last night.


(photo: Chris Cameron)




Trombone Shorty had the crowd dancing and whooping it up big time! New Orleans dance party at the Vogue on Monday night.


(photo: Charles Campbell)


Rupa and the April Fishes at North Shore Jazz on Friday night @ West Van Memorial Library

Assembled by: Ken Pickering

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra-My favorite things Madeleine Peyroux-I'm all right Paco De Lucia-Entre Dos Aguas