Thursday, August 18, 2011

TD High School Jazz Intensive Stories (#2) Lauren Cheng, Alto Sax/Flute

Joining this group for the very first time this year, I was nervous about what I would experience.  I had never participated in a summer camp like the Intensive. Who would I meet? What would the directors be like? Was I actually good enough for this band?  It was with these tense thoughts that I arrived at our first rehearsal.  However, my uneasiness would soon be quelled.  

Lauren Cheng on Alto Sax
Although we 19 students were of different ages from different schools and with varying personalities and backgrounds, it was clear to me that there was something we all shared.  You could see our passion for music burning in our eyes…

TD High School Jazz Intensive...All smiles after an exciting Final Feature Performance
 

Conductors, Bob and Nicole fed our fire for jazz, while also learning and laughing with us – we all have undying respect for them…The best thing about that memorable week was simply playing.  I was awestruck at the quality of our sound, and everyone’s incredible musicality.  Bonding with all the other players and making unbelievable music with them was not only a highlight of my summer, but of my entire life.  

TD High School Jazz Intensive played with great energy, skill and teamwork.


By the time we got to our final concert at David Lam Park, I had only one feeling when I looked out into the crowds of hundreds of people that day – extreme pride for all my talented friends on stage with me, who a week ago had been just mere strangers…

TD High School Jazz Intensive BIG BAND on the BIG Stage at David Lam Park.
 This was an incredible debut on the pro stage…Even for those of us who were not heading into a musical career, we got a taste of it – along with building our confidence in music, and ourselves.

Conductor, Nicole Mitchell, honored us with a solo...
Lauren also got to play flute under the tutelage of a master!















Education Programs @coastaljazz.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra-My favorite things Madeleine Peyroux-I'm all right Paco De Lucia-Entre Dos Aguas