Monday, February 3, 2014

Carl Chinn - November 29, 1957 - January 17, 2014


Tribute to Carl Chinn R.I.P.
(November 29, 1957  - January 17, 2014)

Photo: Phil Daum

Last Thursday afternoon the arts community came together with family - a "Celebration of Life" for Carl Chinn at Creekside Community Centre in the Athlete's Village. It was standing room only; the emotion and love in the room for our fallen comrade was palpable. We heard heart felt stories and tributes from a few folks that knew Carl well, including Wayne Stewart, Phil Daum, John Orysik, his sister Brenda, as well as other members of the family and myself.

Here's what I said:
Carl Chinn, a life long music lover, was one of the most committed members of our community to the vision that is Coastal Jazz, to jazz music of all eras and sensibilities, and to the musicians that make that music, that we have ever known. At Coastal Jazz we have profound respect for the love and dedication to the music that Carl brought to the table day-in and day-out throughout his lifetime. He was a detail man to a fault but we loved him for it. 

As Artistic Director of Coastal Jazz I worked closely with Carl Chinn  (as a volunteer at first and then as staff) for over 20 years. Carl was rightly recognized by many in the music business (and the arts), for his special abilities; he really was one of the best at tracking logistics and was always available to assist – other presenters, musicians, agents, fans, volunteers and basically everyone that he ever encountered. He lived for jazz during his Coastal years and clearly loved the music and the musicians; his huge heart coupled with a superhuman attention to detail (that word again) ensured that musicians had the best possible support to make their experience in Vancouver truly special. Nothing gave him more pleasure. Carl’s contribution to Coastal Jazz and the festival was enormous – always above and beyond the call of duty no matter what time of the day or night.  I was incredibly proud of him and his work. Time and time again, Vancouver was cited by musicians from around the world as one of their favourite places to perform and to hang. Carl had a lot to do with that – and even though he left Coastal Jazz a few years ago, musicians are still asking after him as you will see in the tributes that are flowing in from around the world, not to mention the love from our home community. I know I speak for everyone at Coastal Jazz and everyone in our extended jazz family in Vancouver and around the world when I say that this lovely man is sure to be missed by every person that ever spent any time with him. We send condolences to his family and friends. We love you Carl – now and forever. Rest in peace Carl Chinn.

With love -
Ken Pickering – Artistic Director (1/ 28/2014)

 In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the Vancouver Independent Music Centre (The VIM), Coastal Jazz or a charity of your choice in lieu of flowers in Carl’s name. http://www.vancouvermusiccentre.ca/?page_id=324

Tributes to our dear Carl: 
** This is just a small sampling of the many tributes to Carl that are flowing in. For even more please check some of our Facebook feeds and the memorial link at the Vancouver Sun site:

I'm deeply saddened to find out today of Carl's passing. He was a wonderful, giving and caring human being. Carl made life so much better by simply being around him. I will miss his humour, sly and wry as it was, as well as his passion for music and the kind incredible support he gave to all that he could. I hope he passes away as peacefully as possible. It's funny, I almost kept assuming he was still at Coastal, contributing efficaciously and tirelessly as I often saw him do over his years of service at Coastal Jazz and Blues. If there's a heaven, Carl will be digging the celestial music there and making a lot of great friends. And later on, if the music community gets lucky and journeys to a high place when their time comes, we'll be even luckier to hook up with Carl. Hey Carl, I'm missing you already! May your soul have a peaceful journey ahead and forever!!
Love, Paul Plimley

Thanks for sending this to me. I am so terribly sad to hear of Carl's passing. He was always so helpful and funny and sweet to everyone.
The celebration of life is being held at a time that will not work for me (I teach at Cap on Thursdays), but I will make a donation somewhere in his name soon.
Love to all of you,
Kate Hammett - Vaughan

Very saddened to hear of Carl's passing. He was sweet, sweet man. Although I did not see him but once every few years I considered him a good friend. RIP from all of his friends in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.  
Michael Moore – Amsterdam

I extend my sincere condolences to all of Carl's family and friends at this moment of sadness. He will be dearly missed by all who knew him. I met him in the late 90's at the Vancouver Jazz festival and looked forward to seeing him every year after that. We had some good times together. He was a special guy and it won't be the same when I return.
Brad Winter - Portland

To all Carl's family and friends- I'm one of many people very, very saddened by the news about Carl's death- I, and many other musicians who played over the years at the Vancouver Jazz Festival, will miss his help, kindness, and great sense of humor- Love always to you, Carl. 
Marilyn Crispell – Woodstock

I am very very sorry to hear this. Sad news indeed. Carl was a lovely man who brought warmth and good feeling to every encounter. My best wishes to all who loved Carl, and worked with him.
Ben Goldberg - SF

I'm in complete shock, Carl was a member of our extended jazz family; we met and worked together at the jazz fest back in 1986 where he bailed us out on the transportation crew by showing up with his dad's huge car to drive musicians around. He was never far from the action and always helping out.
Nou Dadoun - Vancouver

He was simply just a sweet dude…that's the kind of impression a man like that leaves. So sorry he left so soon. 
Jim Black - Brooklyn

Thanks Ken - I'm shocked and saddened by this news. Carl was rock solid - always there for the music and a hell of a nice guy... RIP
Ron Samworth – Vancouver

Real sad he was a sweet man and will be missed! RIP
Gordon Grdina – Vancouver

I loved working w/Carl, Ken. What a beautiful tribute you have given him. I'm sure his spirit will continue to be felt at Coastal and the festival. RIP
Alison Loerke – Seattle

Heartbreaking news... Oh no...Carl was our guardian angel - what a loss I can't believe it. Such a beautiful soul...
Benoit Delbecq – Paris

Oh man, another great soul leaving us. He'll be missed. Enormously...
Francois Houle – Vancouver

So very sad. Goodbye life long friend.
Don & Judie Chessa – Victoria

Oh Ken I remember Carl so well; all hanging out together, his warmth and grace, much love to you all. He was a really beautiful person , an essential part of your precious extended jazz family, Maggie xxxx
Maggie Nicols – London

So very sad to hear. Worked with Carl one year at Coastal, and appreciated seeing and learning from his very real and passionate dedication to the artists and the festival. RIP, Carl. Shocking news...
Armand Sebris – Toronto

So sorry to hear this! I really enjoyed working with Carl when I sang the D.D. Jackson's Opera about 10 years. So supportive and wonderful. I am very sad to hear this news.
Yoon Sun Choi – NYC

This breaks my heart. Carl was such a wonderful person and a great vibe. Many happy memories of hanging with him.
Michael Bates – NYC

What a sad news. Carl was such a good person, nice to work with playing the Vancouver Festival. And full of attention, also after he stopped working for the festival he was there. My condolences for all who were close to him.
Ig Henneman – Amsterdam

Heartbreaking news. Carl was one of my band's sweetest most bestest supporters on the planet! Always cracked me up w/ his quirky jolly ways when I swung on by the CJBS office too. Such a blessing... Jazz on Carl, we love ya!!!!
Amalia Townsend – Vancouver

Carl is missed so very dearly by his longtime friends: artists, music-lovers and presenters from all over the world. I had the pleasure of working with Carl at Coastal Jazz for 4 years. I will always remember his hardworking attention to detail and how deeply he loved the artists, the music, and the hang. Good-bye, Carl. May your body and soul rest in peace. 
Kristin Fung – Toronto

I am really sad that Carl Chinn has died. For 20 some odd years, Lynn and I I had the privilege of knowing Carl, via involvement with Coastal Jazz, and though our paths crossed only sporadically over the last several years, we are moved by many memories of his warmth, intelligence and wit
James Coverdale & Lynn Buhler – Vancouver

My condolences to all Carl's loved ones. I first knew him thru' multiple hilarious phone chats as I worked w/ Toronto Jazz Fest & he w/ Vancouver's. He was a lovely guy with a great sense of humour. Rest in peace, Carl. 
Gwen Kallio – Vancouver

Robert Kerr and I are deeply saddened by the news of Carl's passing. He was a fierce and dedicated advocate for music and beloved by all of the artists he worked with. We both worked alongside Carl at Coastal Jazz for many years and have myriad memories of his passion and humour and hard work. Our sincere condolences to his family. 
Julie Dawn Smith - Toronto

I've known Carl for about 25 years and I'm shocked and deeply saddened by our loss. He was the most gentle soul, always supportive and helpful. 
Brian Harding – Vancouver

I had known Carl since 1985 and over the years enjoy a few beers, food, stimulating discussions and friendship with Carl. As many of us are shocked by his untimely passing, he will be remembered. RIP old buddy...I'll miss you. 
Gavin Walker - Vancouver
As you know I was very often in contact with him for some years, those times when we used to tour over there etc., but now I haven't talked to him so much, basically since he quit at your office.. and then I got ill and so on...
He was in any case always so helpful and enthusiastic, came to the gigs, and even to my b-day once. I remember that Leif and I visited him at his home very briefly too, once.
Jeanette Lindstrom

I'm so sorry and saddened to hear the news about Carl. I didn't know him well (we only met a few times), but he was always extremely generous, kind-hearted, and supportive, always happy to provide advice and to help other festivals (such as our own in Guelph) whenever we had questions for him. Please accept my sympathy. 
Sincerely,
Ajay Heble – Guelph Festival

Sincere condolences to Carl's family & friends. Carl & I tackled many jazz fest logistical puzzles together, over the years. I always knew I could rely on his talent, sense of humour and perseverance in solving any challenge. He will be missed. RIP Carl. 
Patti Marshall – Toronto Jazz Festival

Thinking of Carl and his family on the day of his memorial service
we had so much fun with Carl at the jazz fest each 
year .... swapping stories and eating cookies we will miss you
rest in peace
Ginny and Rick McKenzie

Carl,
From the first time we met it was always a pleasure to know you, to be around you, and to learn life together. Soul to soul, Babe, soul to soul. 
Lawrence Anthony 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra-My favorite things Madeleine Peyroux-I'm all right Paco De Lucia-Entre Dos Aguas