Sunday, January 18, 2015

#SundaySlowJam - Simply Soul

#SundaySlowJam
January 18, 2015
by:  Dawn Pemberton
twitter:  @dawnpemberton

I heard this song last week while I was running errands and could not get it out of my head. So, I immediately went home, pressed play and it has been on repeat ever since.

There's so much to appreciate about this tune:  The chord progression (8 bars of heaven), the overall production and instrumentation, the organ that sighs in the background, the tasty groove, the warm, round tone of the bass and guitar, the kick drum that hits "the spot" every time, Al Green sharing his heart... This is soul music in its purest form. It's deliciously simple, sparse and simmers the whole time. No matter how many times I've heard this tune I always lose it at the 3:18 minute mark when the drummer lays down the 16th's on the hi hats. No joke. It hurts so good.



Simply Beautiful, Al Green

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra-My favorite things Madeleine Peyroux-I'm all right Paco De Lucia-Entre Dos Aguas