Wednesday, August 17, 2011

TD High School Jazz Intensive Stories (#1) Jared Karse


Being a young jazz musician this year was tough. My high school jazz band was not at all a very serious group and I was having constant struggles with finding fellow students that shared a passion in jazz. Before I had been informed of the High School Jazz Intensive Band I was in a musical slump. I had no idea where I wanted to go next with music. Saxophone was my addiction but had begun to fall short for me. I began exploring other instruments and different styles of music. The TD High School Jazz Intensive brought me back to what I loved …


Jared Karse on Baritone Sax...He also plays Tenor!
  
The pre-rehearsal a week before the actual program started was a sample, a taste of what was to come. At first my shyness seemed to overcome me. I was one of two grade ten’s in a group that was mostly filled with grade twelve’s, making me awfully nervous. I immediately realized the challenge that this group would be for me as a musician after the first run through of all the pieces. The level of which all of the musicians were at was well beyond my own and it was incredibly frightening, in the best possible way. I wanted to learn and I was ready for the challenge. The fun was just beginning…

TD High School Jazz Intensive BIG BAND with Conductor Nicole Mitchell

Finally meeting our wonderful Conductor Nicole Mitchell was amazing for me. I had already been a fan of her music for two years and I couldn’t wait to see the challenges she was about to throw at us... Focused on every note, accent, and detail of the music was our job. Everyone in the group was determined and that determination brought us together, making difficult music seem easy. Nicole’s skills as a conductor truly deserve applause. She knew how to fix problems and could hear everything and anything that was happening in the band. She not only arranged the music but made it better. Adding elements that created an entirely new level of depth to our sound.

A Sunny Day at David Lam Park, Mainstage...TD High School Jazz Intensive Final Feature Performance! 


The week was not only amazing musically but it was incredibly fun. As the group began to bond the music began to form and as the music began to form the reality of how awesome this program is began to sink in. What a wonderful opportunity for me and my fellow musicians…The final performance outside in sunny weather at David Lam Park was incredible. The crowd was awesome and the band performed at its best…I was riveted by the experience and the pace at which I had grown as a musician…I treasure the experience. I hope to work with each one of these musicians again in the future and what I have taken away from this band will forever be a part of me. It was definitely one of the greatest experiences of my life and I hope I can once again be a part of this amazing program next year...     

Watch TD High School Jazz Intensive playing at "Wheatgrass" in their Final Feature Performance at David Lam Park, Main Stage.  Proud Parent Cam!

Want to be the first to hear about our 2012 Auditions?  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra-My favorite things Madeleine Peyroux-I'm all right Paco De Lucia-Entre Dos Aguas